It was decided in 1953 during Paddy McCann's occupancy of the chair that a competition be staged involving teams from the different areas within the Achill GAA Club. 

The first game in the competition was played on 7th March, 1954 between Achill Sound and St. Pat's with Denis Gallagher as referee. The other areas participating were Curran, Kildownet, Tiernaur and Ballycroy. During the competition subscriptions towards the cost of the cup were solicited and a beautiful Silver Cup which perpetuates the memory of the late Scanlon brothers - Paddy and Jimmy - was purchased for £50.

Jimmy and Paddy Scanlon, the brothers in whose commemoration the competition was named.

The first final was played on Easter Sunday, 1954 between St. Pat's and Tiernaur. Mick Lynch, Dooagh and a native of Aughnacliffe, Co. Longford captained St. Pat's and was the first to receive The Scanlon Cup. It was fitting that he should, because Mick had done and has done more than one man's share to promote Gaelic football in the Dooagh/Keel area. 
In later years a new era - St. Joseph's - was admitted. Ballycroy and Tiernaur found new clubs. St. Joseph's and later on St. Vincent's did sterling work and indeed St. Vincent's ruled the roost in Achill football for many years. More recently St. Colman's, an area based largely on what was heretofore the old St. Joseph's area with the addition of Dookinella has been to the fore. 
It is true that that the Scanlon Cup was instrumental in ensuring that young Achill footballers working in England returned home in late January and February. The turf was cut and potatoes were planted as each and every one worked might and main to ensure that his area figured in the Scanlon Cup final!